Home   |   Search Members   |   Sign In
UW Real Estate Program Timeline
1838
Wisconsin Legislature passes a bill to establish the University of Wisconsin.
 
1839
Wisconsin Governor Nelson Dewey approves UW through incorporation act and invests its government in a Board of Regents.
 
1849
First class meets at the University of Wisconsin.
 
1894
Board of Regents exonerates liberal Professor Richard T. Ely of economics heresy charges and supports the principle of academic freedom.
 
1900
Commerce program established at University of Wisconsin-Madison becomes one of the first six commerce programs in the United States.
 
1907
Beta Gamma Sigma National Business Honor Society established at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
 
1916
University of Wisconsin-Madison Commerce program becomes one of 17 charter members of the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business.
 
1942
Professor Richard B. Andrews joins the faculty as a research assistant, becomes an instructor in 1948, assistant professor in 1951, associate professor in 1955, professor in 1962, and emeritus professor in 1981. He is regarded by many as the thought leader in the urban land economics approach to urban and regional planning.
 
1944
Department of Business at University of Wisconsin-Madison awarded separate school status by the Wisconsin     Legislature, to become the School of Commerce (later to be changed to Business). Richard U. Ratcliff joins the School of Commerce faculty as an associate professor until 1968. The late Jim Graaskamp credited Ratcliff with "developing the theoretical framework for reform of traditional real estate appraisal methods.”
 
1949-1950
Real estate program at University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Business is the first in the country to be recognized by the National Association of Realtors.
 
1958-1964
James Graaskamp earns his doctorate in Real Estate at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Business.
 
1964
Graaskamp joins the School of Business Real Estate faculty.
 
1968
Richard Ratcliff leaves the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Graaskamp takes the helm of the Real Estate Department, to be affectionately known by alumni thereafter as "The Chief.”
 
1976
The Wisconsin Real Estate Alumni Association is formed.
 
1982
Dorothy Ratcliff donates books and monographs from the late Richard Ratcliff’s collection to the School of Business Library.
 
1985
Real Estate alumni announce plans for a fund drive to create a Real Estate Endowment Fund at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
 
1986
Graaskamp becomes the sixth recipient of the Society of Real Estate Appraisers’ Alfred E. Reinman Award for contributions to the growth and development of the appraisal profession. He is also named to the Salomon Brothers, Inc. academic real estate advisory board.
 
1988
April 22 marks the end of the life of Real Estate Department Head Jim Graaskamp, and within weeks, a search for a well-qualified successor begins. Graaskamp's collection of books donated to School of Business.
 
1989
A new era in Real Estate Department history begins with the appointment of Professory Kerry Vandell as Chair of the Real Estate Program.
 
1990
Professors Richard Green, Stephen Malpezzi, and James Shilling round out an outstanding new Real Estate faculty.
 
1991
Program identified as one of top real estate programs in the country by U.S. News and World Report.

ULI publishes Graaskamp on Real Estate (edited by Stephen P. Jarchow), which is the first publication of Jim Graaskamp’s papers in omnibus.

 
1992
Passage of legislation funding the expanded Center for Urban Land Economics Research.

Senior Lecturer Rod Matthews leads a group of 30 students and faculty on the first intersession trip in International Real Estate.
 
1993
Kerry D. Vandell steps down as Chair of the Department, continues as Director of CULER. Professor James Shilling is named Department Chair.
 
1996
Graaskamp Memorial Fund Raising Campaign reaches its goal of $1 Million. Funds donated to establish the Lorin and Marjorie Tiefenthaler Endowed Chair in Real Estate and Urban Land Economics.

Program ranked second in the country by U.S. News and World Report.

Kerry D. Vandell is named as the first Lorin and Marjorie Tiefenthaler Chair of Real Estate and Urban Land Economics. James D. Shilling is named as the first James A. Graaskamp Chair of Real Estate and Urban Land Economics.
 
1998
Donation by TOLD Development Company makes possible the establishment of the Robert E. Wangard Chair in Real Estate.
 
1999
Professor Richard Green becomes Department Chair.
    
Establishment of the Applied Real Estate Security Analysis Program.
 
2001
Timothy Riddough accepts position in the Real Estate and Urban Land Economics Department as an Associate Professor and is named the first E.J. Plesko Chair of Real Estate Finance.
 
2002
Professor Stephen Malpezzi becomes Department Chair.
 
2003
François Ortalo-Magné joins the faculty as Associate Professor of Real Estate.

2004
Professor Timothy Riddiough becomes Academic Director of the Center for Real Estate, formerly CULER.
 
2006
The University of Wisconsin-Madison Center for Real Estate proudly announces that nearly 600 alumni and friends have raised nearly $11 million in donations and will re-name the Center after the late professor James A. Graaskamp, a legendary figure in real estate education.
 
Morris Davis joins the faculty as Assistant Professor of Real Estate.
 
2007
The dedication of the UW Graaskamp Center for Real Estate takes place.
 
2008
Associate Professor François Ortalo-Magné is named Department Chair.
 
2009

Professor Abdullah Yavas joins the department from Penn State University.
Professor Stephen Malpezzi becomes Academic Director of the James A. Graaskamp Center for Real Estate.

2010
Erwan Quintin joins the faculty as Assistant Professor.

2011
François Ortalo-Magné, former Department Chair, is named Dean of the School of Business.

Membership Management Software  ::  Legal